Liquidity 101 Seminar: An Introduction to Liquidity Risk
- Reviewing the balance sheet from a liquidity perspective
- Reviewing regulatory requirements including most recent FFIEC and NCUA funding guidance
- Identifying counterparties and associated liquidity risks
- Retail and wholesale funding strategies for liquidity risk
- Applying static and dynamic analysis tools including forward cash-flow
- Formulating a liquidity policy and written contingency funding plan (CFP)
ALM 201 Seminar: Intermediate ALM Topics
- Briefly review IRR Fundamentals (CFP)
- Applying the ALM/IRR Policy
- Reviewing the Elements of a sound ALM/IRR Policy
- Making the policy fit your level of IRR Complexity
- Avoiding common pitfalls in writing policy
- Involving the ALCO—Hear tips on making the ALCO a productive part of your organization
- Setting Risk Limits
- Identifying the risk areas where risk guidelines are needed and appropriate
- Examining the role of capital in setting limits
- Discuss strategy for resolving and managing conflict goals and guidelines
Speaker: Mark H. Smith
Mark H. Smith comes to this meeting with 33 years of experience in the credit union system and related financial services industry. His experience includes Credit Union Regulator at the Utah Department of Financial Institutions, Assistant CFO at a Utah-based community bank and CEO of a mid-sized Utah
In 1983, he founded Mark H. Smith & Company, CPAs, an auditing and consulting firm which performed supervisory committee examinations and CPA audits for credit unions and community banks throughout the Western United States.
In 1990, he was appointed to a three-year term as a member of the Credit Unions Committee of the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants.
In the 1990s, Mark’s focus changed to offer analysis and consulting services primarily in the area of asset and liability management (ALM) and to move away from the auditing practice. Additionally, the decision was made at that time to serve credit unions exclusively. In 2010, Mark H. Smith Incorporated provides ALM services including interest rate risk and liquidity risk analysis and consultation to almost 300 credit unions in 40 states. Mark is an accomplished public speaker and has received high praise for his ability to explaincomplex subjects like ALM in a simple and understandable format.